April 28, 2008

M.I.A

Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam (born July 17, 1978) is a British vocalist, record producer, songwriter/composer and visual artist. She is a Tamilian of Sri Lankan origin. Best known by her stage name, M.I.A., her work in music often features a range of elements of genres.

An accomplished visual artist by 2002, M.I.A. came to prominence in early 2004 through file-sharing of her singles "Galang" and "Sunshowers" on the Internet. In 2005, her debut album, Arular, was nominated for the Mercury Prize. Her second album, Kala, was released in 2007.

'Arular' is probably the stronger album, or at least seems so at first, as it has more outstanding tracks ('Pull Up the People', 'Bucky Done Gun' & 'Galang'), but 'Kala' is solid too, and has M.I.A.'s best song, 'Paper Planes'.

Arular

Kala

Password: carlitosseville

EDIT:
M.I.A.'s first work was a mixtape with Diplo, which I've spent all morning finding the download for. Not heard it yet, but I've heard good things. Apparantly it's wonderful in a rough-around-the-edges way. (Download is a mediafire download)

Piracy Funds Terrorism Vol. 1

No comments: